Was it murder--or something serious?
Philip Marlow in Murder, My Sweet

Friday, September 18, 2015

I am a Nosy Neighbor

One of the big changes in this move is that our former house was nicely secluded on a very quiet cul-de-sac. We were surrounded by tall trees and high fences and the desert hills.

And now...not so much.

In fact, not at all. We're on a relatively busy street (compared to our old place) and there are no trees in the backyard and the fences, though sturdy, are not all that high. In fact, I look down from my bedroom window into the backyards on either side of us and behind us. Directly behind us is a wall of tall trees, so that actually does provide a sense of privacy. But a sense of privacy is about all it provides.

I was a little uncomfortable about that (and still am, actually -- but I have plans for potted trees in strategic areas) and every time I walked into the backyard to swim, I felt like I was being observed. And possibly I was. In fact, I know I was on one side because I looked up one afternoon and saw the guy next door watching me through his bedroom window.

I did a double-take, he closed the blinds--and hasn't opened them since. :-D

But see, I don't make much of that because I noticed the other night that I am forever peering down into my neighbors' yards. I'm not looking into bedrooms or anything! (I swear.) But I am curious. It's part of that writerly thing. I hope. I'm curious as to why the people behind us are forever topping up their pool but NEVER outside swimming. I'm curious about the guy with the confederate flag in his garage. I'm curious about the neighbors who are up at three in the morning--all lights blazing. I like the dogs on either side of us and I spend long minutes watching them play. I like staring at the lights through the trees at night.

Sometimes I'm just enjoying looking down at our own garden--so pretty with all the lights and the chimes and the water--but also I'm nosy as hell. Let's face it.

Maybe part of it is still getting used to the house and the neighborhood. Who are these people? I don't know my neighbors yet, and I'm curious. And also friendly. But no one around here seems particularly interested in making friends.

But maybe that has to do with my reputation for standing at the windows and spying on them...

8 comments:

  1. We have a new neighbor whose name is Miss Sandy. But we call her Gladys. as in Kravitz. LOL But I do have to say she saved our little blind dog's life when she fell into the pool and we didn't notice she was outside. So Hooray for nosy neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! Nosy Neighbors are one of the best security systems on the planet. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I view curiosity as a basic human condition. So I am surprised no one came by to welcome you to the neighborhood. As for the quirks of your nearest and dearest, they would drive me crazy while I pondered the answers. Hope those lights at 3 in the morning don't wake you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, our immediate neighbors did say hiya! But the reality is everyone is busy and they've got their own stuff going on. Probably if we had kids, it would be different.

      Delete
  3. We met one of the neighbors, sort of, during our house inspection. We waved, he nodded. All is good. One of the things I'm looking forward to in the neighborhood is taking walks. It has sidewalks and a bit of a park, so I plan to take the dogs out frequently. It's ironic that out in the country it's too dangerous to leave your piece of land. (Cars, rednecks, dogs...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just the craziest thing. But I know what you mean. I spent a good part of my formative years in the country.

      Delete
  4. Just here to wish you an early Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete