Was it murder--or something serious?
Philip Marlow in Murder, My Sweet

Friday, June 12, 2015

Simple Pleasures: Dragonflies

We're only a couple of miles from the old house, but we have tons of dragonflies here, which we never used to.

I remember writing a poem about dragonflies in college. Er...I was in college, not the dragonflies. Anyway, it won first prize that year in our little literary competition (some prize, anyway -- as I recall I took all three top spots that year). Yet I don't remember the poem, don't seem to have a copy of the magazine.

What really troubles me is how long it's been since I've written any poetry.

But anyway. I love the gorgeous adornment of orange dragonflies hovering above the pool surface, red clinging delicately to the pendulum of wooden chimes, or hiding in the gardenias like a glittering blue blossom.


1 comment:

  1. I hope you will get the chance to go back to writing poems, or least reading them some more. The best poem to mention dragonflies is Gerald Manley Hopkins 'As Kingfishers catch fire' and the rest of the poem fits your current situation too. "What I do is s me: for that I came."

    ReplyDelete