Was it murder--or something serious?
Philip Marlow in Murder, My Sweet

Friday, March 6, 2015

Simple Pleasures: Laughter

Tankist276 licensed thru Shutterstock
I think one of the best moments of human connection is when you meet a stranger's eyes and you both start laughing. Maybe it's just a few seconds of shared amusement or maybe you strike up a conversation.

In a way that's what writing humor is like. Getting a reader to laugh is much more difficult than making a reader cry. Moving a reader to tears is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. But moving someone to laughter...not so easy. I suppose that's because it's prodding a different part of the brain. Well, maybe that's it right there. Tragedy hits us in the heart and Comedy is largely about the brain.

Anyway, there's nothing better than shared laughter. Whether it's those silly, goofy moments spent with friends, or recollecting happy times with family, or that flash of amused recognition with someone you'll never see again...laughter really is the best medicine.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, humor is tricky and there’s nothing worse than having a joke bomb like that Sybil one. :-( Wasn’t trying to pathologize your behavior, btw. And a writer that can make me laugh is a keeper. I’m listening to Heyer’s ‘The Grand Sophy’ right now and chuckling a lot.

    Good luck with the house hunting.

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared laughter is a valuable gift, in my opinion. The possibility is given, that people with whom I share a certain sense of humor could be very good friends. And I like people better, who have the ability to laugh about themselves.
    I hope you will find YOUR house!

    ReplyDelete